Baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, March 05, 2007

Public Parenting

I have learned the secret! No more judgmental stares when your kids are out of control. Just explain your parenting philosophy to your child in a very loud voice, speaking of yourself in the third person so that everybody knows why you are torturing your children in this particular manner.

This weekend we went to the local Expo center for a Baby Expo. We had a good time, were suckered into only two purchases, and saw some pretty cool stuff. And we saw a lot of parents...

Most of the parents really never even made it on my radar, I only know they were there because there was an inordinate number of strollers present (I think I paid more attention to the strollers than to their occupants or the people pushing them!). There was, however, one major exception.

While we were waiting in line at the Babies R Us booth (I know, there was a line), there was a mother with a toddler a couple of people behind us. DH noticed them first because the child was on a leash, something he is not fond of. This image was exacerbated by the fact that the toddler was writhing on the floor, pulling at the leash attatched to his wrist and whining.

Now at this point, I really would not have given them a second thought to them; I say live and let live. But then we were treated to a loud explanation of consequences and loss of privileges, "Do you remember what privileges are? Do you remember mommy explaining them to you?"

It is one thing to be clear to your child about what is happening and why, it is another to explain things so loudly that it is obvious you want everyone else to know what you are doing and why!

Please let this not be one of those things I swear I won't do but end up doing anyway!

3 comments:

Paul P said...

I really don't get the leash thing. Maybe I will some day, but at this point I have to say: leashes are for dogs. Not children.

Erin Marie said...

Newcomer here. Hi.

Just wanted to say that the leashes are a great thing when your mom has five kids out in public and she wants you to help keep track of the two toddlers. Never lost my little brother. But I don't know if I could use them for my kids. When I have them, my kids are going to be perfect angels who will always walk calmly by me while holding my hand.

Yeah, I know that's not likely to happen but I always feel sorry for kids who are trapped like that. But it was nice for my brother when I was 10.

Paul P said...

Erin,

Fair enough; but in this case, there was a 1:1 ratio between children and parents :)

Thanks for commenting! Hope you enjoy!