Baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, July 07, 2006

Developing a Taste for Good Food

According to the books we've read, by now little C Junior (or Paul Jr.; we hope to find out on Thursday) has developed taste buds, and is adjusting to the types of food that C is eating. Apparently this affects the baby's food tastes for years to come.

C told me this today at lunch while she was pouring on the vinaigrette dressing that I detest. "Stop!" I wanted to cry. "Don't train the baby to like yucky food like vinaigrette dressing! Give it ranch or blue cheese or something yummy!!"

C has recently been indulging her love for pickles, which I don't mind as long as she doesn't try to kiss me after words. I just don't do pickles or olives. Or vinaigrette (vinegar in general, actually). And absolutely no fresh tomatoes. This is basically C's diet lately.

Great. We're going to have a baby who craves pickles and olives with vinaigrette dressing with tomatoes (eaten like an apple, but with salt) for dessert.

If it were up to me, I'd be force feeding with marzipan cake. And watermelon. And all kinds of breads (whole wheat, of course). Plus Angel Food cake with lemon sauce, whip cream, and toasted almonds. Not to mention home-made ice cream. And ribs. Lots of spare ribs. Beef or pork; I don't mind. Are you salivating? I am. Just call me Pavlov's dog.

In the end, I think we're lucky it is C that is pregnant, and not me. Not only would I teach the child to love food that is horrible for you, but I'd eat it in such quantities that would make me blow up like a balloon.

So pass the tomatoes. I'll see if I can't roast them on the grill to make them edible.

1 comments:

Millie said...

I couldn't get enough chocolate milk with my second, and the third, it was raisin bran and fish (not at the same time).

It'll be interesting to see how their tastes develop - chocolate is an obvious one but so far the 3rd has been an incredibly picky eater with no signs of reforming.

Thanks for the visit today! :)