Baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Name Game, revisited

Since Kiddo was born a boy instead of a girl, we didn't have the same amount of time to consider what his name would be. I posted a couple of times about the name decision; for a while we were going through the alphabet a day at a time thinking of all the girl names we knew with those letters. In the end, we thought of a few girl names we liked, but were waiting for the baby's birth to make a decision.

Then came The Big Surprise of 2006: kiddo was a boy. We sat in the hospital room the day after he was born and in about 3 minutes picked his name. I listed about 5 boy names I liked, and Christina mentioned the ones she liked of those. Then we talked about the meanings for a minute, and we made our decision. 3 minutes to make a decision for a boy's name when we'd talked about girl names for more than 4 full months. It's kind of funny when we look back on it.

We really didn't want to share with people our thoughts about names, though, because we were afraid of getting input from people who wanted to tell us what to name our baby, or how to spell the name. We were on the traditional side of things, both in name choices and in spellings, but we still didn't want everybody telling us how to do things.

Then I read a recent Dear Abby article about this subject. I thought I'd share it with you. (Thanks to my MIL for finding this and sending it to me.)

0 comments: