Baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The one week countdown

So we're on the one week countdown. Okay, maybe not officially, since C isn't due until a week from tomorrow, but I'm anxious eager for the baby's arrival. Well, come to think of it, I'm anxious and eager.

So we went to the doctor today for the weekly checkup. C is 70% effaced and 3 cm dilated. I've read the books and done the prenatal class, so I'm at least familiar with these terms.

"So," I started. "Do you think we'll be back for our weekly appointment next Wednesday?"

"Well," he replied, "Maybe. Its hard to tell. Baby will come when she is ready. She could come today. She could come in two weeks. We just can't tell."

"But, based on your experience?" I prodded.

"Well, if I had to bet on it, I'd say you probably won't be back to see me for your next weekly appointment. We'll probably be seeing each other in the delivery room before then."

Aha! I pinned him down. Well, almost.

Funny thing is that C finished her thesis (big YAY!!!) this week, and got permission to defend early, so she is defending on Tuesday of next week (unless there is a surprise in the mean time). When C told her doctor this, he laughed and said, "Kind of cutting it close, aren't we?"

To which C responded, "Well, the committee wanted to schedule it for Thursday (the due date), so I thought Tuesday was a pretty good deal."

"Well, your water may break during your defense."

Wouldn't THAT make a great horror story for future generations....

1 comments:

Melzie said...

Bad news first-- I was 3cm dilated for 3 weeks-- was horrible. :) Good news- I got ultrasounds twice a week during that time- it was awesome. I'll be sure to come back (first time here) to see how Tuesday goes! How exciting for her!!