Baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Preparing for Pre Natal

You might think that it doesn't make sense to prepare for prenatal. I mean, isn't that what the prenatal phase is for? Preparation for the natality of your child? Is natility even a word? My dictionary says no, but I'm going to be descriptive here and use it anyway.

But that is the phase we are in, right now. We are preparing for prenatal classes. Third trimester prenatal classes to be specific. This is the class that we hear horror stories of.

Let's just say I get a bit queasy around blood. Ok, I get super queasy at the thought of blood. So I'm not really looking forward to that part of the birthing process. But I think that it is one thing to have to watch it for your own child. It is totally something different to watch a video of somebody else going through it.

The thought of it makes me shiver.

But lest you think I'm totally uneducated (which, in truth, I pretty much am), I do recognize that prenatal classes are more than just a video of child birth. In fact, there are a number of different types of classes you can attend. Apparently there are different philosophies about child birth. There is Bradley and there is Lamaze.

Do you realize that these are weekly classes you go to for like 6 weeks?

Hmmm. And how do you determine which class you are going to go to? I mean, if they were an hour a piece, you could go to multiple ones, but really, I can't go to all the different varieties of classes when they are 6 week courses.

We haven't signed up yet. We have to decide first which type of class to attend. Lamaze seems to be pretty popular. At least, it was the only method I'd ever hear about before I was like 22. Then I had a supervisor who was a former Bradley instructor and proponent. And today, my wife got a message from a friend that included the following Bradley advocation (you know, from the root "advocate"): "On the good side - it is the best thing that has happened to child-birth in the last 40 years...at its worst - you leave being VERY educated about everything involved. I can't suggest it more highly."

So now I turn to you, oh experienced web of friends: What methods do you propose? Why?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you plan to birth? You'll want to choose a class that prepares you for the kind of birth you're planning.
Bradley classes are *excellent* for those planning to birth without pain meds. Those who plan to birth with pain meds might find them judgemental, as they do have a strong bias towards natural birth. Also most Bradley classes last 12 weeks, so you may not have time for those. If you do plan to birth unmedicated, make sure the classes you take are geared towards preparing you for that. MOST hospital classes are not, even those labeled "Lamaze". But some are. Other options might be independant childbirth teachers. You'll find Bradley, HypnoBirthing, Birthing from Within and no-name natural classes are options.

Anonymous Childbirth Educator

Carrie said...

Our class was pointless! We didn't need it, well I had an emergency c-section and a whole lot of drama, but by that point anyways, we couldn't remember most of the stuff that was taught in class! I mean, ya, you get to see how BIG the epidural needle is and you learn some useful stuff on how to calm a fussy baby, but it's nothing more than what you read in the books! And you also learn a lot from the nurses during your hospital stay when your wife gives birth! They're at your beck and call 24/7! It's wonderful!

I say, don't worry! It all comes flowing to you, like you've been doing it forever! Use your own natural instincts! You have plenty of resources to get ALL the info you need!

I don't know, maybe this is just me!

Good Luck with whatever you decide and whatever makes you feel the most comfortable!

You're going to be a daddy soon! Do we get to see pictures? :)

Paul P said...

Anonymous - thanks for the advice. So many choices! So hard to decide! But you're right. We are past the time needed for Bradley. Maybe next time. :)

Carrie - thanks for the advice too. Maybe we'll just do the book thing. I dunno. Anyway, of COURSE there will be pictures!! My Mother-in-law gave my wife a digital camera for her birthday so that there would be pictures of the baby to be shared over the distance of 700 miles. So I'll post some of them here too.