Baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Do you ever stop wondering...

Do you ever stop wondering if your baby is breathing? Am I more paranoid than most parents, since Kiddo is now more than four months old and I still wonder if he is breathing in his crib?

Am I weird?

My guess is that this is still pretty normal for a first-time-dad of a 4-month-old. Then again, maybe it isn't and I'm an irrational freak. I can live with that.

In any case, my feelings of discomfort have heightened since Kiddo has started sleeping longer at night (some nights).

Last week there was a night when Kiddo ate and went to bed at about 7:30 PM. We didn't hear from him until around 3:30 AM. That was an eight hour stretch. I had to get up sometime after 1:00 to go into his room to make sure he was okay. Sure enough, he was just sleeping. I went back to bed convinced that he was seconds away from waking up, but he slept like two more hours.

When Kiddo was first born, I wasn't sure I could handle the stress of him waking up every couple of hours. Now I wonder if I can handle him sleeping through it!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I lost a lot of sleep wondering and checking to see if my baby was still breathing! It does get better! I'm going to be a lot more relaxed with this baby. She won't be sleeping next to my bed for 8 months like my first, but I'll still probably have some of the same fears of her not breathing! I still check on my 3 year old occasionally to see if she's still here with me! Well, rarely. I know that God is watching over her for me and hopefully he knows that I couldn't handle losing her! I think we feel those fears so strongly because our love for them is so intense! New fears will eventually pop up, but that's a part of parenthood! The best we can do is put our fears into Heavenly Father's hands because He more than anyone knows how we feel about our children! You're doing a great job!

tracy m said...

My kids are 5, 3 and 1, and I still check and see if they're breathing. Every night. At least twice!